Hampton University
College of Virginia Beach

Prospective Undergraduate Nursing Students

Accelerated Program Information - Read before applying.

Is there an entrance examination or interview process required to be accepted into the baccalaureate program?

Currently, we do not administer an entrance examination nor do we require a formal interview for admission into the program.

How do I apply to get into the baccalaureate program?

Simply complete the Hampton University application for admission (download an application online or request an application be mailed to you). Declare nursing as your major and indicate whether you plan to attend the traditional program at the Hampton Institute campus or the accelerated program at the College of Virginia Beach campus. In order to apply to Hampton University, select the "Applying to Hampton U" tab at www.hamptonu.edu

Are there prerequisites that I need to take before applying/entering the program?

We do not require prerequisites to enter the program. However, once a student has been accepted into the program, the student is required to successfully complete all required general education courses before being eligible to enroll in upper division nursing courses.

What kind of a degree will I have upon graduation?

You will receive a Bachelor of Science (BS) degree in nursing.

Is my nursing education complete when I graduate from your school?

Your formal nursing educational preparation for a BS degree is complete when you complete all necessary credits and graduate, but you must then pass the Registered Nurse National Council Licensure Exam (RN-NCLEX) before entering professional practice.

Are all college course credits transferable?

We will accept transfer credits for any general education course that is applicable to our curriculum from an accredited school, college, or university. These courses must be less than 10 years old, and you must have earned a grade of "C" or better in each course. We also accept International Baccalaureate, Advanced Placement (exam scores of 3 or higher) and Dual Enrollment credits. The University will waive its University 101 - The Individual and Life requirement if you transfer 30 or more credits. The University will not accept transfer credits for any nursing courses or CSC(V) 120 - Computer Science.

Will I need transportation?

Yes. You will need your own transportation to all clinical agencies.

Do you have a part-time and/or evening program?

We do not currently offer part-time or evening programs.

I already have a bachelor's/master's degree in another field. How long will it take me to complete your nursing program?

If you are able to transfer all of the required general education courses, you can complete the nursing theory and clinical courses in 2.5 years.

I have recently completed two semesters of nursing in a baccalaureate or associate degree program and wish to transfer to your program. Will I get credit for the nursing courses I have already completed?

No, we do not accept any transfer credits for nursing courses from other institutions.

Can my LPN program courses transfer and count toward the first two years of the BS program?

No, we do not accept any transfer credits of nursing courses from other institutions.

I am presently a certified nursing assistant and have been working for the last five years. Will I receive advanced placement in your program?

No. Advanced placement for previous nursing education is only granted to licensed LPNs and RNs.

I was unsuccessful in another nursing program; do you give special consideration to these applicants?

We do not admit students who have been dismissed from a nursing program or who have received a failing grade ("C-" or below) in any nursing course.

Can I CLEP (challenge) some college courses?

Yes. The following courses may accepted for CLEP credit at Hampton University that can be applied toward a Bachelor of Science degree: College Composition with Essay, Humanities, Algebra, Pre-Calculus, Human Growth & Development, Introductory Psychology, and Introduction to Sociology. For further information, please contact the
Office of Testing Services
at Hampton University by calling 757-727-5493 or visit http://testing.hamptonu.edu/clep.cfm

Is financial aid available?

Yes. Please contact the Office of Financial Aid and Scholarships for further information by calling 1-800-624-3341 or 757-727-5332 or visit http://www.hamptonu.edu/studentservices/financialaid

Can students take courses on any campus?

No, students must take courses at the campus they have requested on the admissions application.

Do you offer any continuing education or refresher programs?

Currently, we do not offer any continuing education or refresher programs.

What are the application deadlines?

The closing date for the receipt of all applications is March 1 for fall admission and November 1st for spring admission. Please contact the Office of Admission by calling 757-727-5328 or 1-800-624-3328 or visit http://www.hamptonu.edu/studentservices/admissions.

I work full time. Can I fit the coursework into my schedule?

Many of our students who work full time are able to complete the program successfully.

Do you have a waiting list?

We do not currently have a waiting list.

Do I need to send a transcript from EVERY college I have attended?

Yes, we require an official transcript from every college, university, or professional school that you have attended.

What should I do if English is not my first language?

Applicants whose first language is not English must take the Test of English as a Foreign Language (TOEFL) as one of the admissions requirements. For additional information, please consult the TOEFL Web site: http://www.ets.org/toefl, visit the Office of Testing Services website, or call 757-727-5493.

What programs and degrees are offered at the School of Nursing?

We offer bachelor's, master's, and doctoral programs and degrees.

Undergraduate Programs:

Generic Program (Hampton Institute Campus) (Academic Programs, BS)


Accelerated Program (College of Virginia Beach Campus)


RN-BS Program (Hampton Institute and College of Virginia Beach campuses)

http://nursing.hamptonu.edu/programs and http://cofvb.hamptonu.edu

LPN-BS Program (Hampton Institute and College of Virginia Beach campuses)

http://nursing.hamptonu.edu/programs and http://cofvb.hamptonu.edu

Does the School of Nursing offer distance learning programs?

The School of Nursing offers a RN-BS program as well as MS and PhD programs online. http://huonline.hamptonu.edu/programs

When do you admit students?

We admit students only in the fall and spring.

Can I make an appointment with an advisor to have my transcripts evaluated?

Yes, you may contact the Office of Student Academic Support Services in the School of Nursing at (757) 637-2816 or 637-2577 and schedule an appointment for an unofficial evaluation of your transcripts after you have applied to Hampton University.

Can I transfer courses from a foreign country?

Yes. It is your responsibility to have your international transcripts evaluated by an agency that evaluates international transcripts. The official international transcript evaluation must be submitted to the Office of Admission with your application.

Is there a time limit on any of the prerequisite courses?

Math and science courses should not have been completed more than five years prior to your acceptance to the School of Nursing at Hampton University.